When the sisters first arrived in Hazleton, there was no convent and they were housed in private homes. The first convent was a ten room, tow story frame building at the corner of Wyoming and Elm, the property of H.B. Conahan. They remained there for one year, and then moved to the Giblin Home at the corner of Birch and Wyoming. The property was opposite the clubhouse where classes were held. The sisters remained at the Giblin House until 1881 when the extreme cold of winter forced them to move to the second floor of the clubhouse. Later that year, a new convent, "St. Joseph's" was completed. A new convent chapel was completed and blessed ten years later.
On February 19, 1936 a fire broke out in the furnace room of the convent. Raging from early morning until 4:00 PM, the fire left the convent in ruins. All that remained was the Sister's chapel. The nuns were relocated to the rectory, Monsignor Kane and the assistants accepted the offer of rooms by the Hotel Loughran and were guests until Attorney Frank and Mrs.. Cannon offered their home as a temporary rectory. A parish meeting was held the Sunday evening following the fire and a commitment was made to raise $50,000 within 10 days. That commitment was met on March 12 and the convent was commissioned at no major cost to the parish. Dedicated on September 26, 1937, the new convent was an example of French Gothic architecture and served as the sisters' home until 1995.
At the time of dedication, Monsignor Kane wrote, "It is now possible with the facilities at hand for the sisters to live in comparative comfort and to render to the people of this community service with dignity."
The building continues the Mercy mission today, providing comfortable, affordable living tothe people of this community.